Thursday, February 7, 2008

When Old becomes New


I think it's quite natural for people to always keep looking for new music that pleases them. I know that I am constantly looking for new bands that I dig, and new genres that I haven't really explored. All this being said, it's always great to look back where you came from sometimes. And with me that begins in high school with the Impossibles, but also with a bunch of other bands that thrust me into the music world.

One of these bands, which remains as one of my all-time favorites, is Alkaline Trio. Their album Goddammit! hit me hard when I first got it. It was one of my first favorite albums...so raw, edgy, and real that I immediately took a liking to it. This isn't exactly the band you want your kids taking after (eg. they sometimes play on stage in priest costumes with an upside-down cross as the backdrop, they sing songs about frequent drug use and bad break ups, and they can be known to drop some nasty verses) but they sure as hell make good tunes.

The first tune I posted is called 'Cringe', and whenever I hear the intro to this tune I get excited. Just that little bass pluck, and you know that Matt Skiba is about to erupt in his signature wail. The second, called 'My Little Needle' is one of those tunes you don't really want to play for your mom. It talks about heroin addiction and how the only way the guy can really feel anything is when he 'waters himself back to life' with his needle. I'm not sure if this is a relevant story to a certain member of the band, but I probably wouldn't be surprised. The last tune, 'Message from Kathlene' brings Dan Andriano and his crooning voice to the forefront. It pushes just as much as the other two and offers a nice contrast to Skiba's singing. Maybe you've listened to these guys before, maybe not, but go back in time with me and check out Goddammit! once again.

Alkaline Trio - Cringe

Alkaline Trio - My Little Needle

Alkaline Trio - Message From Kathleen

No comments: