Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Burial


There is this club/lounge/bar in Pittsburgh called Firehouse. For the past few months my buddies from work and I have been going there quite a bit. This ties in because they play a lot of house music, and I have started to actually kind of dig it. Now, not all of it. For some reason I've been liking the more ambient/darker stuff that they play, so I did a little digging into the scene and found some bands that I really like. I guess they are technically in the genre dub-step, which I call 'dance music that you can't dance to'. At the forefront is the band Burial with their album Untrue.

This album definitely isn't for everyone. It wasn't for me until about 4 weeks ago, but since then I've been spinning it a lot. Doing dishes, ironing clothes, chillin in your room, walking down Carson Street at night...all these times are real nice for a little Burial music. In fact, when I hear the music it reminds me of walking through an empty courtyard in a slight drizzle, monolithic buildings all around that may have one or two shadowy lights on inside. Maybe you'll get what I mean when you hear the music. Burial has some vocals, but they are all sped up or faded in and out. Nothing in them is natural at all; they float by just like the shadows in my little scene before.

The first tune is the one that hooked me, 'Archangel'. The beat kicks in quickly, and the ghostly voices enter the song. Crackles like a faded record hiss in the background and the ambient tones add to the dark mood of the song. A perfect song to get you in the mood. The second song I chose is called 'Ghost Hardware' which starts with a chilling line from a female voice and the tin-like beat kicks in along with some slight breaks where a gun sounds like it's being reloaded. The last tune is called 'Homeless'. This one brings in all kinds of voices and nuances, some harsher sounds, but still keeps the crackles that keep the records dark and almost ghostly edge. I wonder if you guys will like this, haha.

Burial - Archangel


Burial - Ghost Hardware


Burial - Homeless

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah dude Burial is tight, apparently no one even knows who he is.

Anonymous said...

His real identity, that is...
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,2198765,00.html