Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The evolution of a band: Part I - Early Impossibles


It has always fascinated me how bands and songwriters constantly evolve and reinvent themselves. Some fans love how a band evolves, 'matures', and keeps them on their toes. Other fans accuse bands of 'selling out', 'losing their identity', or 'just sucking' with their later albums. Well, for my next couple of posts I will take you on a journey that will chronicle mostly one guy, Rory Phillips.

To be honest, the Impossibles were the first independent band I ever got into. Max played them one day while we were fixing some speakers in 'theater' at school. And I was like 'holy shit, these guys are cool.' Max and I ended up going to their last show in Milwaukee, which was actually my first real concert. We went in the pit, got sweaty, belted out the lyrics, and left with ringing in our ears. From then on I was hooked to constantly listening to new music, going to shows, and talking about it with buddies. Now I'm a big dork and write about it too.

The Impossibles had been a band from '94-'98 and then broke up. When I first heard them, I wanted to go to their show, but Max sadly told me that they had broken up. I was stuck with their only real CD...Anthology. So what was better as an adolescent high school kid than cheezy lyrics about things like teddy bears and magic eight balls, ska guitar riffs, and sing-a-long choruses. Nothing. Well, the Impossibles had it.

The first posted track is the one that started it all....and it is about that said magic eight ball. My English teacher in high school asked me to bring in a song to analyze how people can use music as well as poetry to convey important feelings. I brought in this one, and the lesson pretty much flopped because there is only so much one can say about dice in a plastic ball. The second track, 'So Much', showcases their early ska sensibilities. The ska guitar riff, simple drumming, and languid singing lead into a bangin chorus that gets the mosh pit going. Just imagine losing your pre-pubescent voice shouting the chorus while getting smashed between a 300 pound dude and a punk chick. Can't ask for much more. The last tune displays the rockish-side that made us 16 year olds feel pretty badass. 'The Week of August First' was one to jump on your bed and sing in your room with a broken drumstick as your mic.

So, pretend you are still in High School....dumb down your music sensibilities, and love the early Impossibles for what they were. Enjoy!

The Impossibles - Eightball

The Impossibles - So Much

The Impossibles - The Week of August First

No comments: