Thursday, September 20, 2007

Concert Review: The Format, Limbeck, Steel Train

Time to backtrack a little here to a concert tour that rolled through the midwest earlier this month. I'm surprised we forgot to write a review on this, but somehow it slipped through the cracks even though Kyle and I both saw it in different cities.

The tour featured The Format as a headliner backed by Limbeck, Steel Train, Piebald, and Reuben's Accomplice. The core lineup of Format, Steel Train, and Limbeck is one of my favorite to see, and I think a great example of bands with similar styles getting together to put on a great show. The show opened with Reuben's Accomplice who played a decent set but nothing spectacular.

Steel Train, who we wrote about earlier this winter, has finished their style change and have completely shed their jam band roots now. We've already covered this before, but I just wanted to point out that their old style is now officially dead, and if you never got a chance to see it you missed out cause it was a hell of an experience.

Limbeck played another great set. I love how simple these guys' approach to music is, and really their only goal with their sound is to make songs that you love to listen to. I've written about them before, but since then I've picked up their third release, Limbeck, and it's a really good album. It's better I think than their last release Let Me Come Home, so I'm gonna post a couple new songs from them.

Limbeck - Big Drag

Limbeck - Sunset Limited


And finally there was The Format. As the headliners they did everything expected; they just got up there and played the music they play so well. Lead singer Nate Ruess's voice soared over the crowd, which was difficult where I saw them, a very small venue filled with people who knew every word to every song. I was somewhat surprised to see how many people knew their second album Dog Problems so well. While its a good album, I don't think it compares to Interventions and Lullabies. Their show has expanded now as well to include a larger touring band and even a horn player. This helps give them a fuller and broader sound, which is something more evident on Dog Problems. I wouldn't say that this detracts from their sound at all, but honestly I don't think its necessary either, the strength of their song writing abilities is enough to propel their music.

Even though I saw them in a small venue, most of the tour was in much larger venues, and I think this is evidence of Format's growing popularity and their leap to the next level. I don't know if they'll ever be Top 40 material, but they've got the sound that transfers well to mainstream so I wouldn't count them out. And just in case you're not a Format fan, here's a couple songs to get you started.

The Format - The First Single (Cause a scene)

The Format - Time Bomb



-Alec

ps - never saw Piebald, $3 pitchers at the downstairs bar were just too tempting

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on traknine.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Scientific Research indicates that about 80% of all United States grownups are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Do you guys watch movies in theater or on internet? I use to rent DVD movies from [b]Bigflix.com[/b]. Recently I discovered that we can watch all new movies on internet on day, they are released. So why should I spend money on renting movies??? So, can you guys please tell me where I can [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]watch latest movie Fright Night 2010[/url] for free?? I have searched [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Youtube.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Dailymotion.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Megavideo.com[/url] but, Could not find a good working link. If you know any working link please share it with me.


Thanks

Anonymous said...

comment2, minka kelly nude, %]]], jenn sterger nude, >:-OOO,