Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Best Band That Never Was

That was the title Kyle and I bestowed upon a little known Buffalo, New York rock band called Silhouette. Kyle first found these guys on the internet back freshman year and quickly turned me onto their infectious style of rock. Their songs are extremely catchy and well crafted in a style that I think can just simply be described as rock. They have heavy guitar riffs with soaring melodies and hooks in their songs that blend together to create great songs. Really, they have two of the things that I look most for in rock music and that is lots of energy and also memorable and catchy songs. Plain and simple they make songs that you can rock out to and sing along to at the same time.

Now back to the story. So we picked up the couple songs they had one purevolume and listened to them continuously while waiting for Silhouette to get signed and put out an album. The year came and passed and Silhouette put out a couple more songs on the internet, but yet no record deal. Then tragedy struck and the band decided to call it quits, sometime sophomore year I think. Anyways they broke up, never to be heard from again. Here we are a couple years later now and all that we're left with is the 7 demo songs we were able to get off the internet and wonders about what could have been. Hence, the best band that never was.

I'll never quite know why these guys couldn't get signed. They had the musical talents, the song writing abilities, the marketability, and most importantly amazing energy. I just get energized every time I listen to their songs, and the thought of being in the pit for one of their shows just gives me chills, too bad it'll never happen.

Normally we just post a few highlight tracks in order to show off the abilities of the bands we're writing about. But since Silhouette is no more, I'm just gonna go ahead and post all 7 of the songs I have. This was kind of a rainy day post, because I've been busy moving and such and haven't really listened to too much new stuff, so I wanted to go back and feature an older (and extinct) band. So check them out, and if you like them then please enjoy these 7 songs, cause that's all you're ever gonna get.

Silhouette - House of 1000 Cobras


Silhouette - Smokescreen

Silhouette - Part Of Life

Silhouette - Cosa Nostra

Silhouette - Speaking In Vowels


Silhouette - The Fuse


Silhouette - Rock, Paper, Beartrap

I think my personal favorites would be Speaking in Vowels, House of 1000 Cobras, and maybe Part Of Life, but in truth I really love them all.


-Alec

9 comments:

Matt Schraf said...

Hey Alec,
Im Matt Schraf, lead guitarist and backup vocalist for the band that never was. this really warmed my heart to read that people actully thought of us the way you did. means alot to hear about it, even years later. I have a few unreleased tracks you have never heard that I would love to send ya. email me sometime. mdschraf@yahoo.com

Louballs said...

Hey Alec,

Did you ever get those unreleased songs? As a fellow Silhouette fan, I'd love to get a copy from you if you have them....

Louie

Anonymous said...

This band was fucking sick. Unfortunately we were never able to catch them live. However, we did get a bunch of unreleased songs from their bassist over AIM. I still listen to the CD in my car today...almost 3 years later. They were too good to lose to Strike Fire Fall. I still don't know how they even won. Silhouette blows them out of the water. Music needs this band to get back together

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone,

You all may be interested in this. Before Silhouette, the singer and bassist were in a band called "Act Your Age." They put out an album titled, "This Is How You Leave Me."

Here is the link for the album.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2wkgjuxjzrk

Just a little more music for all Silhouette fans to enjoy!

Adam said...

Matt....you guys need to get back together! what are you all up to? any new bands?

Sparky said...

Oh man, I totally remember hearing "Smokescreen" back on Purevolume when I was in high school. I downloaded it and still listen to it every now and then, thinking how awesome it was and still is.

Just found this post, and only three of the songs' links are working for me: Smokescreen, Part of Life, and Cosa Nostra. Any chance of a re-upload of the other songs?

bren said...

I was totally hooked on these guys back when they were a thing. It still saddens me that they were never able to release a full length. Anyway, it seems that Cosa Nostra, Smokescreen, and Part Of Life are the only links that still work. I'm stoked to have gotten hold of those tracks, but does anyone know how I can get hold of the others?
Thanks

Dave S said...

First heard of Silhouette from the Takeover Records contest. I had everyone I know vote for them.

I downloaded all the songs I could from them at the time, but i never heard Cosa Nostra, Smokescreen and Part of Life until tonight. I'm glad they randomly popped in my head and I did a google search for them.

Unknown said...

I want and need these songs!!! Anyone out there with them???
thank you

Marcus