Saturday, December 29, 2007

Favorites From 2007

I hope that everyone had an amazing Christmas vacation for the past week or so. Mine was filled with brewery tours, townie bars, pizza, grilling out, and insane amounts of snow. So, it's getting towards that time of year where Alec and I have to pick our top albums of the year. However, just like last year there are some songs that I really liked on albums released in 2007 that just won't quite make the cut. Pick a few out, listen, and enjoy!

Mark Ronson - Valerie feat. Amy Winehouse

Super-producer Mark Ronson got it exactly right when he asked Amy Winehouse to sing this bouncy, soul-ish tune for his 2007 album Version. Backing strings, light piano comp-rhythms, and horn arrangements flesh the tune out, and the driving beat makes it perfect for almost any party.

Saves the Day - Get Fucked Up

After I couldn't handle singer Chris Conley's whine that was more nasally that usual on their last album, their 2007 follow-up Under the Boards was a pleasant surprise. They must be pissed about something throughout this whole disc, but you can't argue with the catchiness or sheer fun-factor of the tunes.

Alberta Cross - The Thief and the Heartbreaker

With only one EP to their name, this is a band that I hope to see much more of in the future. Playing a jangly style of rock, this song starts slow for about a minute, but give it time. It opens itself a bit with a long guitar chord and then breaks out with harmonized choruses and almost psychadelic-style guitars.

T-Pain - Bartender

This is my guilty pleasure song of 2007. Off his new release Epiphany, this was the one song I would consistently hear at bars and clubs that would make me want to get on the floor. It's not epic, it has a simple beat, and it uses synthesized voice (which I don't normally care for), but something about it makes me want to jump in the middle of all the grinding couples and get dirty myself.

The Avett Brothers - The Weight of Lies

This was the most interesting band of 2007 for me. Using primarily an acoustic guitar, a banjo, and an upright bass, this trio has incredible song-writing ability. Now the whole album isn't exactly my thing, but there are some great songs as this one with uplifting harmonies, some moments that make you daydream, and others that make you tap your feet under your desk.

Armor For Sleep - Smile for the Camera

AFS has one of my favorite albums ever with their 2003 release Dream to Make Believe. 2007 marks the year of their third album Smile For Them, and they really have yet to reclaim the magic they used to have. This tune is a straight-forward pop-rock tune that is a pretty fun one to play in the car. Nothing special, but I've had it spinning quite a bit as of late.

Enjoy!

-Kyle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pick already. I'm bored and I need to do some downloading!!!- Jammers