Monday, December 25, 2006

A Few Favorites of 2006

As I sit here not able to sleep anxiously awaiting the arrival of Santa down the chimney, I decided to give a few gifts of my own. I have put a little list together of nine songs, which were released in 2006, that I immensely enjoyed. None of these bands will win any of my other end of the year awards (Top 5 CD's of 2006 and Alec and Kyle's discovery of the year)....but they all put out some incredible songs, and I definitely didn't want to let some of my favorite songs of the year go unrecognized.

Midlake - Roscoe
This song is actually my song of the year. I don't exactly know what it is that hooked me. Maybe it is the old-school feel, maybe it's the way the guitar line is strummed in the chorus, maybe it's the piano break, or maybe it's the way the lyrics are sung. I swear if this song had come out in the 70's, it would be a chart-topper.

Moneen - If Tragedy's Appealing, Then Disaster's an Addiction
This is a band that you MUST see live once in your life. They will roll all over the stage, dive off of speaker towers, crash into drumsets, and throw their guitars 20 feet in the air....all while rocking out like crazy. Have fun playing air guitar with this one.

Hot Chip - A Glue Too Thick
This song is actually a B-side from their 2006 release The Warning, but I was addicted immediately. I love the eurotrash beat, the electronic feel, and the vocal-synth interplay.

Hotel Lights - A.M. Slow Golden Hit
This is a band fronted by the former drummer of Ben Folds Five. Their self-titled cd is a super mellow collection of tunes that are great for the winter. This one grabbed me with the seemingly contrasting light vocals and pushing beat. The synth is also a nice touch, and definitely not overdone.

The New Amsterdams - Turn Out the Light
These guys are my favorite band. This is one of my favorite NewAms songs. It's too bad that this album ended up being my biggest dissapointment of the year, with only 2 listenable tunes. It makes me sad because their last two albums are absolutely genius. This is a softer tune with a great vocal line, especially in the chorus. Check it out.

Park - Who is Aliandra?
Park is one of my guilty pleasures. Super emo (see song titles "Which Wrist First" and "Your Latest Victim"), fairly technical with their guitar work, and definitely a bit dancey nonetheless. This song is the epitome of guilty pleasure...bad lyrics, real pop-punky, and a catchy-as-hell chorus...I love it.

Ratatat - Wildcat
I still don't quite get Ratatat. I'm not convinced that anybody does. An electronic feel, some spacey guitars, layers upon layers of sound that really play well off of each other, and in this song...a sweet wildcat.

Starlight Mints - Seventeen Devils
I played this song one day, and didn't play it again for two weeks. Then one day I was raiding my computer for this song because it was stuck in my head. That's how quickly this one can get you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Under the Influence of Giants - Mama's Room
This song was my summer anthem. Play it...roll down the windows...cruise. A sick bass line to start, some disco stylings during the chorus, and falsetto singing about makin love. It doesn't get too much better.


Hopefully all of you enjoy some of these tunes....and if you missed them, some of my other favorites from this year are here and here. Leave some comments...let me know what you liked, what you didn't...you dont have to be registered to leave comments! I hope that all of you are having a great Christmas break, and God bless!

-Kyle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn straight Ratatat.

-Evan