Thursday, December 21, 2006

Girl Talk



I was reading some weekly music recommendations from a website the other day and was surprised when 2 of the first 4 people recommended the same band. Then another person stated that they would've recommended the same band but since it had already been done they were going to rec something else. Damn I thought. Must be pretty good. The band? Girl Talk

I must admit that I wanted to pass on this right away when I first saw the name. But thankfully I didn't, because I would've missed something pretty amazing. Girl Talk is the stage name of Pittsburg electronic producer Greg Gillis, who makes his living creating songs that are a mix of parts of many popular songs put together. And by many I mean approximately 10 to 20 which is quite a bit for one song.. The songs sample a wide range of materials, and Gillis combines them somehow into individual songs, often with great results.

I've seen his 2006 release
Night Ripper listed on several "Best Of" lists for this year. I don't know if it is really one of the best albums of the year, but it's quite good in its own way. Why am I writing about it? Because it's fun. Really fun. Listening to this album you can't help but be drawn in by the catchy beats...and soon you find yourself saying "hey I know that song" every 30 seconds.

Hell you could even make a game of it. Play the album and see who can write down the most number of songs they recognize. Or not. But you should listen to it, because I can't think of a single person who wouldn't enjoy it. It's not going to revolutionize everything you used to listen to, but it sure will make you enjoy all of your old favorite music in a new way. I mean where else can you hear Notorious B.I.G. rapping over Tiny Dancer and Ying Yang Twins rhyming over Bittersweet Symphony? It's a trip down memory lane.....and some nice beats to go with.

Girl Talk - Once Again

Girl Talk - Bounce That


Merry Christmas to everyone
-Alec

No comments: