Saturday, December 9, 2006

Sweet Soul Music

Hey everybody...so today was great. I finished the hardest quarter of school in my entire life, and have a month of vacation to look forward to. Because of this, I will try and broaden some music horizons by putting a couple soul tunes up. This music is so happy. This music makes me want to dance around my room in my boxers. This music just has some serious soul. When you think about it, soul music really influenced a lot of the music that is on the radio and in cd players now. Powerful singing, powerful drums, powerful choruses, moving bass-lines...all things that are prevalent in many of todays best songs from hip-hop to pop to R&B to Indie...you name it.

The first song is by the Chairmen of the Board, who are well known for their hit "Give Me Just a Little More Time." They were a 1970's soul band based out of Detroit, and they recorded a decent amount of charted hits. The posted song gets you moving right from the beginning with some punchy guitar and truly convincing singing, and breaks into a horn-mediated chorus with some back up soul harmonies. I loved it the first time I heard it...I hope you do too.

The second song is by a 1970's soul/R&B group called the Fifth Dimension. It begins with some light singing and conga drums before a building drum fill leads into everybody feelin all right. Play this one at a party and watch how many people start to slightly dance when filling their beer, when talking to someone else, or even when sitting in a couch. It's a tune that will get people subconsciously addicted to dance. It's great.

Chairmen of the Board - From the Days of Pigtails

The Fifth Dimension - Feelin' Alright


I hope you enjoy the soul tunes, and I hope that they help get you through exams if you still have them....but more importantly celebrate if you don't.

-Kyle

No comments: