Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Cold War Kids: An expose


coldwarkids.com

It's the truth that this blog isn't all about ska, so I think I'm going to break the mold of every post that we have ever done. Here is a band I think you will like: Cold War Kids. This band has been getting a decent amount of hype in the "scene" if you are into that kind of thing. They just put out their debut album Robbers and Cowards about a month ago, which consists of many songs from their previous 3 EP's.

When I first played the songs a while back, I thought "whoa, that singer has a distinct voice and way of singing." Some people may get a little annoyed at the slightly quavering, yet forceful singing, but when it is coupled with the raw and almost bluesy instrumentation..I think it's a really good fit. It is essentially a keyboard, a drumset, a guitar, a bass, and a singer who really envelops you in the stories he is telling through his songs. One really powerful track is Hospital Beds, which talks about men in a general hospital room and how they really have no choice as to their fate at the moment.

This band definitely has an indie feel, with perhaps a little White Stripes or Strokes influence...but I really think that the minimal instrumentation and the emotional, story-telling singing really set this band apart from what is out there already. Here are a few mp3's that you can check out...let me know if you dig em!

Cold War Kids - Hospital Beds

Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up to Dry

These mp3's are for sampling only and will be removed at the copyright holder's request


-Kyle

No comments: