Thursday, December 6, 2007

Calvin Harris

I've never been a huge techno/electronica fan, which probably has been pretty evident over the course of this blog. However, my post today on Calvin Harris somewhat falls under that category, and I'm writing about him for two reasons. 1) Plain and simple I like his music, he combines electronic and funk music into an infectious sound that is really just fun to listen to. 2) In order to somewhat make this a respectable music blog, its important to try and hit upon some artists who are quickly becoming something big, and I think Calvin Harris' popularity is only going to grow, and so its important to share his music now.

So who is Calvin Harris? He's a skinny white kid from Scotland who has a knack for creating energetic, fun electronica songs that have a heavy influence of funk style in them. These elements combined make for a unique music style that is already big in Europe and is beginning to make a name for itself over here. I first learned of Calvin Harris through random facebook wall postings, and only a couple weeks later heard a report from some friends in Europe that his stuff was playing in European clubs and that it was pretty popular over there.

I've really been drawn to his stuff because I think it offers a different perspective on electronic music, something that I've never really been in love with before. His addition of funk styles, as I've mentioned, plus influences of disco make for a sound thats more rhythmic and grooves better. In a way it kind of reminds me of a european version of Head Automatica, but instead of combining funk and disco with pop rock he's mixed in electronica.

Oh and if you need any more convincing, the album title is I Created Disco, just to give you an idea where he's going with the album.

Calvin Harris - Merrymaking At My Place

this is the money song right now, and if you are making a party playlist anytime in the near future this song should be on it

Calvin Harris - Neon Rocks

Calvin Harris - The Girls


-Alec

No comments: