Saturday, February 7, 2009

VETO

I hope that things are going well, and you have had enough time to digest some of the top 10 albums that Alec and I put out there. I know that I've still been spinning most of them an amount that is probably unhealthy, but that makes me even more excited for what 2009 has in store for music.

My first offering for your guys is a band from Denmark called VETO. My buddy Niels just sent it across the ocean to me a few days ago and I've really started to take to it. Normally I am not a huge fan of "electro-" anything. The electro-pop always felt to childish, the electro-rock always felt too cheezy, and the electro-dance always felt too euro-trash. However, I think that VETO could change a little bit of that for me. They use the synth pretty tastefully in their tunes, and the overall tone of the music has hints of rock but keeps the tone nice and dark, like you are in some underground Danish club.

VETO - You Say Yes, I Say Yes
Check out a few of these tunes and see if you agree. The first tune I'm posting is called "You Say Yes, I Say Yes". It starts out with a driving bass line provided by the synth and then brings in a U2-esque guitar lick for a few seconds. As it continues to drive along, I feel like I'll turn around any second and see some sweaty Danes dancing in this black-lit club with a 7 foot ceiling.

VETO - Built to Fail
"Built to Fail" starts off pretty minimalistic with an off kilter bass beat and some very tight singing. It quickly breaks into a synth solo that's made for the glowsticks and blacklight tattoos. My personal favorite part is the harmonies at about 2:00 in, where they end up crescendo-ing into another rave-style synth lick.

VETO - Digits
"Digits" is sort-of the title track off the CD, and it brings the heat of the synth right away and then mellows out and lets the dancers breathe for a bit until it goes into a euro-trance-ish break and then back for another breather. This would be sick in a Danish club...

I hope you enjoy the tunes....something a little different... But I think Niels came through pretty big on this one.


No comments: