Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Alec's Top Ten of 2008

This was a tough year to make a top ten list. I really had a tough time falling in love with many albums this year, and I'm not exactly sure why. I think overall it was kind of a down year for music, and I've read that elsewhere so maybe I'm not entirely crazy. I wrote that our discovery of the year was my least favorite so far, and I think this has been the toughest year for my top ten as well, including picking a number one album. To be honest I had trouble with this, and really felt that I didn't like any of the albums enough to be number one. But I don't half-ass things (or maybe I do, I forget sometimes) so I mushed together some sort of list for '08.

*Since the "man" is doing a better job of policing blogs and some of these acts are signed to major labels I'm just including myspace links for all of them as Kyle did. I will list my favorite song though, and hopefully it will be on there.

10. Estelle - Shine

A pretty solid release from Estelle that mixes neo-soul, hip hop, reggae and R&B among other things. Nothing here is too revolutionary, but there aren't any real duds here and the arrangements are well done so Estelle cracks the list. My favorite track is kind of random but the do-wop esque track "No Substitute Love" came away as the top. I think it would be a great track for a college a cappella to do, I hear those types of groups are quite popular.


http://www.myspace.com/estelleonline






9. We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery

I fell in love with the track "Let's Do It" and from there the rest of the album just started to grow on me. They're not really the sound I normally listen to, but their new age with a modern twist actually comes off novel to me and gives the album a nice sound. Good dynamics throughout the album as they keep the listener interested and involved with well written songs that can be downright catchy at times. Favorite track, as stated is "Lets Do It", hands down the best on the album.



http://www.myspace.com/wearescientists





8. Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It

Kyle really got me pulled into soul, both new and old. Unfortunately not many of the old timers are putting out albums this year, yet we are saved with Saadiq's release. Its pretty classic, and except for some better production and a couple other nuances you would've thought it was released in 1967. I'm willing to grant that the inclusion here is probably more of a reflection of what I've been listening to lately than a statement of the true greatness of the album, but nonetheless I listened to this one quite a bit this year. While I really enjoy the upbeat "100 Yard Dash", I think my favorite album is actually the ballad "Calling" which features vocals from a girl who Saadiq met at a local restaurant while recording the album.


http://www.myspace.com/raphaelsaadiq



7. Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

Those sad little indie rockers come back with another strong album in 2008. The album generally seems along the same lines as their previous releases and whether you consider that a good or a bad thing, I found the result to be an intriguing and very listenable album. I don't think there are really any stand out tracks on the album, but rather a nice grouping of songs that all stand strong and come together to make a good album. I think my personal favorite would be "Grapevine Fire", but that might just be a guess.


http://www.myspace.com/deathcabforcutie



6. Matt Pryor - Confidence Man

The man is a song writing machine. Whether part of The Get Up Kids, The New Amsterdams, or now just as a solo act he continues to put out albums full of sad songs belted out in his throaty croon. As Kyle said this really could have been a New Amsterdams release, but whatever the name it was a pretty solid album. He has a knack for putting together simple songs involving the same rehashed chord progressions yet somehow manages to make each one feel new and compelling.
My favorite track is "Confidence Man", a nice little harmonica line really helps make it the top one.

http://www.myspace.com/mattpryorsongs




5. Q-Tip - The Renaissance

The beats are laid back and his flow is old school, but the songs are addicting and have a unique sound in today's music world. Some of the tracks, including my favorite "We Fight/We Love", are grade A material, but I thought some of them lacked definition from others which is why I didn't rank it as high as Kyle did. It's a jazzy, funky and smooth hip-hop album that's great to just sit back and nod your head to.


http://www.myspace.com/qtip




4. Dear And The Headlights - Drunk Like Bible Times

If this list was for top album titles these guys would definitely be at number one. Their sophomore release wasn't as immediately love-able and catchy as their first, but when I started getting more into it I realized that once again they have come out with a solid album. The sound is more mature, slightly darker and not quite as upbeat, but their song writing abilities and talent for crafting beautiful rifts and catchy choruses hasn't faded. Favorite track is probably "Willetta", I love the bass and drums during the verses.



http://www.myspace.com/dearandtheheadlights




3. The Envy Corps - Dwell

Ok I know this probably some homerism, and if they weren't from Des Moines I probably wouldn't be listening to them. But I started anyways, and came away with one of my favorite albums of the year. I think of them kind of as a more upbeat Radiohead, and whether catchy toe tappers or crooning ballads, most of the songs are good ones. There's good balance and nice dynamics that keep the album fresh all the way through and brings the listener back again when its done. I think my favorite favorite is the off-to-war ballad "Before The Gold Rush".



http://www.myspace.com/theenvycorps



2. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

In my opinion the best rap album of the year, and I never really heard anything that came too close. A lot of people are quick to dismiss him cause of "Lollipop", but in reality he's very intelligent and can create amazing songs. I think he might be slightly insane, but I guess that's what usually makes great artists. The songs are all over the place, and there are definitely some bad ones, but the man is very creative lyrically and marches to the beat of his own drum, sorry for the cliche. I like the customary chest thumper "Mr. Carter" featuring Jay Z a lot, but I think the socio-political anthem "Tie My Hands" about Hurrican Katrina is the best of the album. He does an amazing job of expressing anger and frustration over the event in such a reserved and composed manner.

http://www.myspace.com/lilwayne


1. Sunfold - Toy Tugboats

This goes back to where I started the post. Do I really think this was the best album of the year? Not really, but in the end this was an album I kept coming back to over the year. The album has a nice mix of pop, indie, jazz and touches of other styles that really appealed to me. Despite being catchy and poppy at times, it has plenty of originality and style that keeps it fresh and enjoyable. These guys are clearly talented musicians and adept song writers, and it comes together nicely here into a strong release. Like DATH for Kyle last year, these guys took my top spot as well as the discovery of the year "award". My favorite track is "Shrinking The Sphere", a syncopated yet catchy track that's easy to get stuck in your head.


http://www.myspace.com/sunfold




Holy Shit it's already 2009!

- Alec

No comments: