Friday, January 2, 2009

Some cuts of 2008

I hope that everybody had an incredible Christmas and New Years over the past couple of weeks. I had a great time up in the midwest visiting some old stomping grounds and finding some cool new places to eat/hang out. As I generally do each year, I'm going to put a little list of songs together that were released in 2008. These are all songs that I really loved throughout the year, but their albums just didn't quite make the cut for my top 10 albums of 2008. Enjoy!

Solange - Ode to Marvin
This tune has a real silky-smoothness which shows how adept Solange is at channeling her inner Marvin Gaye. Her album had a few great songs, including the incredibly catchy 'I Decided' but left me a little bit overwhelmed by the production that ruins a lot of her sister Beyonce's tunes as well.

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Glue Girls
Horrible name, yet a pretty solid indie band. The voices can get a little airy and bubble-gummy at times, but that doesn't stop them from crafting some good pop hooks. This is the opener off of their album Pershing, which is a great tune for cruising through Wisconsin farmland and having an enormous blue sky ahead of you.

Blitzen Trapper - Furr
The title track off of Blitzen Trapper's 2008 release is a great tune that grabs you right away with the strong vocals and bouncy acoustic strumming. A little harmonica and bass drum give the tune some depth later on, and I guarantee that it'll make you curious about the rest of the album. I'll admit that I didn't listen to it enough to give it a fair shake, and I could be kicking myself for not including Furr in my top 10 in about 4 months.

Girl Talk - Set It Off
As much as I like Girl Talk, I don't think I can put their album in a top 10. It almost always feels to me like a novelty. It's like something that should be a total mess, but in actuality is complete genius. I'm sure you all know about this guy from Pittsburgh, but here is my favorite track off of his 2008 release Feed the Animals.

No comments: