Sunday, February 15, 2009

Voxhaul Broadcast

A quick music and internet related note to share before I begin here. Loyal friend and ocassional reader Katie showed me a nice site last week, www.justhearit.com, that lets you play just about any song you want. You know that time you really wanted to hear that one song, so you went to youtube and watched some terrible video of a fat guy lip-syncing to the song just so you hear it? Well those days are over and you can just pop over to justhearit, type in the name and it'll come up. I haven't really tested it too much to see how big of a library they have, but so far it's had everything I've looked for, leaving me fairly impressed.

In a nice flip from Kyle's electro-post from last week I'm going to write about Voxhaul Broadcast, a stripped-down rock group out of LA. Their debut EP "Rotten Apples" came out last April, although at 8 songs I think it's kind of a hybrid between an EP and an LP. They describe themselves as a rock/soul group, and I think that's somewhat accurate, although personally I find the soul aspects overshadowed by the rock ones most of the time. Regardless, the sound they come off with has a passionate edge and some great songwriting abilities behind it. While they credit lots of classic rock and soul groups as influences, I think in modern day you could hear touches of the Strokes and the Black Keys mixed into their sound.

What really struck me when I first listened to them was their raw sound. The songs are devoid of effects and over-production, just their instruments cranked up and recorded. I was pleasantly surprised to then learn that they recorded and produced the album in one day. This is pretty rare in the music industry today, where even the smallest unsigned bands spend weeks or months in the studio trying to perfect their sound. I think they got the effect they were looking for as the songs come off sounding fresh and real.

Voxhaul Broadcast - Why Not

Voxhaul Broadcast - Rotten Apples

Voxhaul Broadcast - Flickering Sparks


- Alec

No comments: