Friday, July 25, 2008

Ferris

This is a guest post from my brother, Kurt, who currently goes to school at Wisconsin (second best school in the Big Ten). If anyone else wants to guest post, please send Alec or I an e-mail! We love to hear new stuff too.


With the Brewers creeping ever closer to the Playoffs for the first time since 1982, I can’t help from going to game after game at Miller Park. They probably want me to go to every game because as of now I’m 8-1 at Brewer games. Those car rides to the park lend for lots of music listening and this small startup band has caught my eye.


Based out of a suburb of the Twin Cities known as Apple Valley, Ferris has been playing since 2004 and has only grown since then. From recording their songs at one of their houses, they now are featured monthly at the Fine Line in Minnesota. The piano/ukulele/lead singer, Dustin Hatzenbuhler, has been writing and mixing their songs straight onto the Top Played lists of my iPod. The other members of the band: Ben Huhner (guitar/vocals), Kevin Burke (keyboard/vocals), Colin Burke (drums), and Jake Romero (bass), play smooth and easy rhythms and ease you into a nice relaxed mood. If you’re ever looking to play music to study to and then get stuck in your head, Ferris is the way to go.


The three songs that I’m putting up hit every spectrum that Ferris brings to the table. First up is ‘Fly’, which brings some thoughts of a funkier O.A.R. or Dispatch. I’ve grown to know and love the wa-ish guitar effects that keep you bobbing your head and feeling silky smooth at the same time. The second song is one I personally love because of the piano trickling throughout the song, especially during the end. ‘We Are Life’ has great lyrics and a beautiful sound to it. Lastly is ‘Where I’m Going’, which exposes more of Ferris’ talent. With a similar vibe to 'Fly' (less wah, more jangly piano), this will definitely get your foot tapping and wanting more.


And if you just can’t get enough and need more right now, their next concert is August 14th at 9:00PM at the Fine Line in Minneapolis ($5.00 cover).


Ferris - Fly


Ferris - We Are Life


Ferris - Where I'm Going


-Kurt


No comments: