Friday, July 11, 2008

Owen


I hope that everyone had an amazing 4th of July. I got a chance to catch a few Brewer wins over the Pirates which was a beautiful thing. Then CC Sabathia got signed, the Cubs realized they had no chance, so they retaliated by signing a guy who goes on the DL 4 times per year. Nice.

Today I wanted to profile the artist Mike Kinsella's latest project, Owen. Kinsella has been in a ton of projects during his life from the rough-ish, emo 'Cap'n Jazz' to the chiller, more technical 'American Football' (my personal fav) to a few others, and now Owen.

First things first. If you are a person who watches American Idol religiously for people who can actually sing, Owen is probably not for you. Kinsella almost always sounds just a hair off key, which I think adds to his emo-ish feel of just a normal guy who sat down and wrote this song for a girl. In fact, 'Who Found Who's Hair...', the first song I posted from his CD, I Do Perceive, is probably exactly that. The lyrics are prototypical emo with the trashing of some girl based on the rumors he's heard, but if you can get past that, listen to how he puts his pieces together. At about 2:40 into the song he combines some electric noodling, distinct acoustic stumming, and a fade-in electronic beat with incredible results.

The second tune I put up has a little more get-up, but that's really about as far as Owen ever goes. If you are waiting for it to explode, you are waiting in vain. He brings back the semi off-key singing, but I really like the moods that this song takes you through. It goes from a bouncy instrumental to a very subdued verse and then it feels like a weight is lifted off his chest when the song goes back into an airy guitar line.

Let me know if you dig it. Play Owen's I Do Perceive it in the background when you are reading or doing some work around your room. It's outstanding.

Owen - Who Found Who's Hair in Who's Bed

Owen - That Tattoo isn't Funny Anymore

No comments: