Saturday, January 20, 2007

Looking back



After posting our best of lists for 2006, I think this is a good time to travel back a year and look at 2005's number one. While I did lots of debating this year as to what my number one would be, it wasn't even close last year. Here's the review I made of it last January when I picked it -

Gatsbys American Dream – Volcano

What can I say here? I really didn’t even have to debate as to my number one. This album is just truly amazing, and it’s a perfect example of why I love this band so much. Gatsbys is a band that tempts record labels with a sound bordering on marketable that could turn them into a big act. But they refuse to make songs that would serve this purpose, and instead churn out energetic 2 minute songs with a plethora of guitar riffs and a dearth of choruses. With their third full length and latest release, the boys from Seattle stay true to their roots. What really sets this album apart for me is the overall concept and central theme of volcanoes, and the way the story is constructed around the impending eruption. And last but not least, they get bonus points for being an awesome live band that can live up to their recorded sound and is full of energy and emotion.

Best Song – SHHHHH! I’m Listening To Reason


The songs are amazing, the lyrics are great and filled with lots of literary allusions, and the guitar riffs rock. Give it a listen.

Gatsbys American Dream - SHHHHH! I'm Listening to Reason

Gatsbys American Dream - The Loosing of the Shadow


-Alec

No comments: