Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Kyle's Top 10 of '06

This post has been a long time in the making for me because there has been so much good music released in 2006. Here are my personal top ten favorite cd's that were first released in 2006 (Note: Margot and the Nuclear So and So's Dust of Retreat would be among my top 3, but it was self-released in 2005...so...sorry Margot...you can listen here). I'll give a quick list of 10-6...and some descriptions for the rest...enjoy!

10) Incubus - Light Grenades
9) Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
8) Underoath - Define the Great Line (see Alec's top 5)
7) Westbound Train - Transitions
(see Alec's top 5)
6) Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor
(see Alec's top 5)


5) Saosin - Saosin
I wrote about Saosin previously here, so I don't really have too much more to say other than that this cd continued to grow on me over time. It's my favorite harder album of the year, and it has gotten me pumped up for countless Ultimate practices. If you want to bridge the gap between rock and post-hardcore (see: Underoath)...this is a good place to start.

Saosin - Some Sense of Security


4) Maritime - We, The Vehicles
This album was a latecomer into my top 5, as I first heard it in early December. Formed of ex-Promise Ring members, it's safe to say that Maritime dominated my Christmas Break playlists. Think airy vocals, guitar lines that wrap around the overall rhythm, and some good pop-sensibility. If you listen to Minus the Bear or Deathcab....give this a try...hell, give it a try anyways.

Maritime - Young Alumni




3) Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSound
Considering how good his first album was, I was guardedly excited for his second. Let me tell you...it does not disappoint. J-Tim's falsetto carries you through tunes with some of the catchiest beats, coolest breaks, and worst lyrics of any album out there. Just listen to the tune provided...at around 5 minutes in...the sick-ness begins. Best break/transition ever?

Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.../...Comes Around Interlude



2) John Mayer - Continuum
If there was one huge surprise for me this year, it was this album. Forget what you know about John Mayer, and pick this up right away. Mayer trades his cheezy lyrics and pop tunes in for bluesy and intelligent songs about a variety of subjects. The tempo remains low for most of the album, and it suits him quite well...which makes this a great cd to fall asleep to or wake up slowly in the morning to. Don't skip this cd because it says "John Mayer" on the cover!

John Mayer - Stop This Train


1) Rocky Votolato - Makers
All-time favorite cd's of mine seem to always have some memory or thing associated with them. Perhaps that is why Makers is my favorite album of the year. When I was in Switzerland I got this cd in early 2006 and played it on every train/plane trip I took. When I listen to it now I can look out the window and almost see the rolling Italian hillsides flashing by my train or the Swiss Alps keeping watch over the lakes and small towns in between. Definitely the most beautiful cd of the year, Votolato can put you in a trance with his smooth voice and soothing guitar...making you want to sit out and drink a glass of your own Makers whiskey.

Rocky Votolato - White Daisy Passing
Rocky Votolato - Makers

I hope that you enjoy the selections. Let me know what you think. Give your own top 5 or 10 or 20 if you want. A couple albums released in 2006 I wish I had spent a bit more time with that are starting to grow on me are:

Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Josh Ritter - The Animal Years
Hot Chip - The Warning

Check those out too if you want. Have a good one!

-Kyle

No comments: