Sunday, January 7, 2007

Alec's Top 5 of '06

Sorry for the delay. For some reason the blog decided to not recognize my login anymore and I wasn't able to post for a while. But I'm back now and want to start off 2007 with my Top 5 of 2006. These are the 5 albums that really impressed me this year. Of course there are tons of other great albums out there, but for me these are the best of the year.

1. Underoath - Define the Great Line















I don't listen to a large amount of post hardcore, nor do I listen to a lot of Christian music either. So it's a bit of a surprise even to me that this album turned out to be my number one, but I really think this is one of the most complete albums of the year. Underoath does a great job of mixing their two previous albums, one harder, and one more poppy, into a perfect blend of intense, driving parts with softer more melodic lines and harmonies. In short this is an album of contrast, and they do it really well. The hard with the soft. The beautiful with the ugly. It's that contrast that really brings out the best of both parts and makes the album. It has the ability to envelope you in the music and the emotion of each song, and the power behind the music helps give meaning to words being sung.

Underoath - Writing On The Walls


2. Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds













I know I'm all over the place with these picks, but this album really impressed me. While JT does a good job of singing on this release, the real strength lies in the production. What I really love about this album is that it combines both elements from older funk and soul styles with new elements of hip hop and R&B. All of these elements come together to create a unique album. In a genre where so many of the songs sound the same, there is a great amount of individuality to each track on this cd.

Justin Timberlake - Damn Girl (feat will.i.am)

3. Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor















Following in the lines of Chicago brethren Kanye West and Common, Lupe Fiasco released a great album this year that not only entertains but educates and addresses bigger problems in life as well. Not only does he accomplish great things with his lyrics, but his delivery is solid and rhymes in his own style. The production and beats of the album are very good as well, and have a hint of Kanye in them, which probably contributes to why I like it so much.

Lupe Fiasco - Hurt Me Soul

4. West Bound Train - Transitions















I've already mentioned these guys a few times before, so I think I've already said most of what I would otherwise put here. I love their songs, their sound, and their energy. I know most people don't listen to reggae or ska anymore, but damn this is a good album. The track
I Feel Fine might be my favorite song of the year.

Westbound Train - I feel Fine



5. John Mayer - Continuum















I can understand why many people dismiss his older stuff, but if you pass on this album automatically because it's a John Mayer release then you're missing out. This album, which marks Mayer's debut as producer as well, is a change. He takes the reigns and moves in a more mature and developed direction. With this freedom his songwriting ability is better served and the result are songs driven in more of a soulful and bluesy style while still maintaining their roots in rock and pop music.

John Mayer - Gravity


-Alec

No comments: