Monday, August 11, 2008

A Dash of Soul


Alec and I were recently talking about any new bands/genres that we had really been digging lately, and I realized that I'm still stuck on this whole soul thing. Sure, I have been digging some indie stuff, some post-hardcore, some hip-hop, some blues....but I think I have found my personal favorite genre over the past year or so. I think it's really because you can feel the heart in the albums. There is a desire and an idea that 'these words need to be heard' that just isn't found in today's 'pop-singles culture'. Since I haven't posted about soul in a while, I'll give you a three song sampler of some artists that I really like.

The Classic Example - Punish Me
The Classic Example put out a self-titled CD in 1972 that I have had on pretty much constant rotation for the past few weeks. The entire CD is fantastic (especially with the guy/girl vocals), but the song that really stuck out was 'Punish Me'. It begins with an uptempo piano riff and the male voice begging for punishment if he ever does anything to hurt his woman. Harmonies come in during the chorus, and I dare you not to tap your foot through the entire 2:47.

Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come
Sam Cooke's 'A Change Is Gonna Come' is one of the all-time great soul tunes, and also one of the most influential not only musically, but politically and socially. If you haven't ever heard it...listen...now. It's a compelling song about racism in America written during the 1960's, and how Sam believes that one day things will be better for everyone in the Land of Opportunity.

Rufus - Walkin in the Sun
The last tune is by the band Rufus, which features soul singer Chaka Khan. It's a very uplifting song that has a fairly poignant message, saying that 'even a blind man can tell when he's walking in the sun.' I take it as a song about self-realization and the fact that you should really open your eyes and see how good your life really is. There are some amazing harmonies in the chorus, and the rest of the song just glides pleasantly along your eardrums.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of new music, what do you guys think of the new combo resulting from the Format's break-up, fun?
I'm excited Nate is making more music, and though I don't know Anathallo and the only Steel Train I really know is from your earlier post, I'm pretty optimistic, especially after hearing their demo Benson Hedges.
Anyways, I really only know a third of the band, so what are your takes?

Kyle said...

Hey Matt,

I heard rumors of that...but didn't know they put up a song until you mentioned something.

I gave it a quick listen, and....I thought it was just ok. I feel that Nate's voice is more well suited to have a whole band backing him (he does a lot of stuff without much support). Now that could completely change with production and non-demo songs, who knows.

Like you said...It's good that he's back to writing tunes, because he is a great writer. I just hope this doesn't detract from Steel Train's progress at all which I have really been digging...