Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Immoor


Lately I have been doing an insane amount of traveling. Some for work, some for pleasure, but it has all been pretty fun seeing cities and a lot of friends. And...all this time in the airport and on airplanes gives me quite a lot of time to just sit and listen to music on the iPod.

I picked up the Immoor CD, The Thievery of Your Own Things, early last year. I thought that it was decent, but nothing really special. There was nothing there to really draw one in. No poppy hooks, no gorgeous melodies, no cruchy guitar riffs, and no super strong singing. I kind of forgot about the CD for a while, and finally decided to play it in the Pittsburgh airport while I was waiting for a December flight. Well, I have put it on in every airport since then.

Alec may try and argue that the best 'airport CD' is the Postal Service's Give Up. That is a great one, but I think this one can hold a similar status. I actually kind of qualify this band as a 'poor man's Postal Service'. Immoor is one-man, electronic-based band with synthesizers taking care of the beats as well as the melodies. The songs are almost ethereal with the soft, subtle singing and long synth chords. It will quickly put you in a certain zone while sitting in your chair at the airport watching countless people walk by to their various destinations.

The first song I am posting is 'Chemical Feelings' which fades into a drum beat accompanied by a soft synth sound. As the singing kicks in, I think you can feel what I was talking about before. Almost trance-like in nature, this song will wrap you up in its blanket and keep you nice and relaxed. The next tune is 'Collapsible Construction' which has a similar feel, but maybe even a little harder. More and more parts combine and interact with each other until the chorus breaks in and reaches up with a little synth-horn line. 'Unit 371' is probably my favorite song on the record. It begins a bit minimalistic, and gradually increases in complexity until it resembles an actual song with a melody. I love the various effects put on the singer's voice throughout the song, as I feel that it really adds to the dreamy feel of the band. Sit back and enjoy!

Immoor - Chemical Feelings


Immoor - Collapsible Construction


Immoor - Unit 371

No comments: