Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Defending a Genre

Last week Say Anything released its follow up to 2004's ...Is A Real Boy, the beautifully constructed indie rock opera that catapulted the LA band onto the national stage. Their latest release, In Defense of the Genre is an album sculpted along many of the same lines, but as a 27 song double disk there's even more to the show this time.

I had absolutely no expectations for this album, which was my own doing as I refused to think or read about it until I had a chance to listen. I did this because its just impossible to really know what makes the band tick and where their drive and inspiration for this album would come. The main reason for this lies with frontman Max Bemis, who is bipolar, which is a medical term for bat shiat crazy. Listening to
...Is A Real Boy you really get an understanding of just how out there his mind is, but what's refreshing is the openness with which he writes. Say Anything's songs are arguably some of the most honest out there, as Bemis hides nothing and shys away from no topics or points.

So where does
In Defense of the Genre fall? That's a tough question, and honestly I don't think I can answer that yet. It takes me awhile to really digest their songs, more than most other bands for me, and coupled with the length of the album its gonna take a while to get a real opinion on the album. There are songs that I have really started to enjoy, and some which I think aren't as strong, but that's about all I can say right now. This album could end up in my top 5 for the year, or it might not even come close.

I know my description is pretty lame, but I just wanted to post on this album while it's fresh and post a couple of the tracks that have stood out for me so far, especially since I'm not really in love with the first single they've chosen. So here are a couple of the tracks I've started to really dig and hopefully you will too, and then check out
In Defense of the Genre.

Say Anything - No Soul

Feels like a continuation of "Admit It" but with the added bonus of a Notorious BIG sample, or James Mtune if you wanna get technical

Say Anything - That is Why
'50s era tune that sounds like it should be in the movie
Grease, except for with a modern twist

Say Anything - Spores
" You know I still know how, how much your love costs.
You know when I peel back your layered lip gloss.
You know I still know how to fuck your eyes crossed.
It's your loss.
It's your loss."

Say Anything - Church Channel

Interesting song dealing with Max's mental health problems and the compassion of a girl


There, I did my best. Really all I can say is check out the album for yourself, because there's a lot to it. Old Say Anything fans should find a band that has expanded its horizens, but not lost sight of its roots, and I think people who are new to Say Anything will find a very unique band that meshes a range of styles into a sound that mixes well with the eclectic and interesting lyrics written by Bemis.

-Alec

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think about Trampoline? I kinda like it! Although I hate the constant allusions to whoever Jack happens to be dating. I also hate that I wikipedia'd to see who he was dating because it makes me a loser. I'll save you the same shame. He's dating Alia Shawkat who was Maeby in Arrested Development. When they started dating, she was 17.
Anyway, ST thanked my friend Ethan in the liner notes, and I totally introduced him to the band, and you introduced me to them, so in way they thanked you. So cute!
~Sarah

Third Coastin' said...

Even though this post wasn't supposed to be about Trampoline, whatever we'll go with it. I think its a good album, and now that I've gotten over the heartbreak of Steel Train's sound change, I can step back and listen to their new style. I miss the old Steel Train, but the new one is pretty good too.
As for the references about who he dates, I don't know pop culture so I wouldn't know them anyways. But good to hear he's banging a minor, thats always pretty sweet.