Sunday, April 22, 2007

Say Anything


To describe the sound and style of Say Anything can be a bit of a challenge. The Los Angeles based rock group has described their sound as a "rock opera", and while I guess this could kind of work, I don't really feel that it's such a great description. The main parts of their style that stick out to me are the the mix of indie and punk in the music and the aggressive singing of frontman Max Bemis.

But what will really get you is just the pure creativity of their songs. Bemis is an eccentric personality, and was even diagnosed with bi-polar disorder after suffering a nervous breakdown while working on their 2004 release ....Is A Real Boy. You can just feel the weird ways in which Bemis's mind works when listening to the tracks of the album. The lyrics can be thoughtful and moving, but also quite strange and random at times as well. But the combination of all these elements has helped create one incredible album that has gained them a large fan-base. While this is not their only release, Bemis has become unsatisfied with the bands earlier small releases and refuses to play the songs or re-release them, so ....Is A Real Boy has become the definitive album for the band thus far. Actually there is a re-release of the album containing some extra track that had previously leaked, but not a complete new album.

The reason we're featuring Say Anything is because they're coming to Chicago this week to play a couple of shows with Saves the Day. Wednesday at the HOB and Thursday at the Metro, of which we're going to the second one at the Metro. The shows are sold out I believe, but I don't have a ticket and am planning on heading down to try and buy one on the street anyways.

Even if you don't head to the show, be sure to at least check them out, because they are a great band with a very unique style. The first song is their show stopper, and pretty much their best song. Its an uptempo ballad about love during the holocaust, and lyrically and musically just an amazing song.

Say Anything - Alive With The Glory Of Love

The second is another great track showing off more of Bemis's songwriting ability.

Say Anything - Woe


-Alec

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say Anything is such a great band. Probably one of my favorites. I wish I could go to the concert, and in fact was planning on it, but I can't. But Alive is definitely my favorite song of theirs, along with I want to know your plans. Good choice.

Anonymous said...

I agree, and think that Say Anything is one of the most musically creative bands out there right now. I can't wait for their new album. Good choice on songs as well...Woe and Alive are my favorite songs for sure.