Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Envy Corps

Zach Johnson winning the Masters got me all pumped up with state pride, so I thought I'd write about an up and coming band from central Iowa called The Envy Corps. These indie rockers have started gaining much attention and recently signed with Mercury records and are working on their first major label debut. I must admit that I'm somewhat surprised to see this group making news, because for years the "scene" in central Iowa has been dominated hardcore and metal groups (see Slipknot, Stone Sour, 35 Inch Mudder, Indexcase, and others).

But nevertheless here comes The Envy Corps with something a little different. They have a pretty true indie style and rely heavily on the influence of Radiohead. Their songs are often melodic and catchy, but they refrain from becoming too "poppy". Lead singer Luke Pettipoole leads the group with his usually restrained vocals that can jump to life to add another dimension to the songs when needed.

All in all a good band with lots of potential. Be sure to check out the first song posted, from their 2006 EP
I will write you letters if you tell me to, and then some of the other ones from their 2004 indie release Soviet Reunion.




No comments: