Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Turning the Corner



So I think that the weather is finally starting to turn the corner towards spring. I mean, it's gone from 0 with a -30 windchill to 16 degrees in about two days. That is pretty sweet. And, so with that...I'll put up some pop tunes that I have been listening to a lot lately.

The band
is Phoenix. They are four natives of Paris, France who put out some catchy pop-indie tunes. Their 2006 release It's Never Been Like That has been getting some heavy spinning from me lately. I've heard them described as a 'poor-man's Strokes,' which I feel is pretty true. They, like the early Strokes records, tend to keep certain themes throughout their songs....like a constant guitar strum or vocal nuance. My favorite track from the album is one that is below called 'Long Distance Call.' In this song especially, I feel that Phoenix does an incredible job of layering sound. Each part is not too much, and each part is distinct...from the drums to the falling then rising bass line to the chord progression of the lead guitar. Not only that, but the intro is sick with the synth chords syncopating with the drums and singing...it's a really cool effect.

The second song, 'Consolation Prizes' is a more straight up pop tune. Once again, I find the interaction between the singer and guitar is quite nice, and the layering is very evident especially in the chorus...my ear seems to catch a new part every time I listen to it. Hopefully these tunes will get you in the mood for spring...because it's supposed to be a tropical 18 degrees for the rest of the week!

Phoenix - Long Distance Call

Phoenix - Consolation Prizes

No comments: