Sunday, February 4, 2007

A couple random notes

I never decided what I wanted to write about for this post, so instead I'm gonna just mention a couple things that Kyle has found out about recently that are pretty sweet. I know I'm stealing his thunder with this one cause he found them, but whatever, I don't care.

The first thing is a website called ruckus.com that provides free music downloads to anyone with a .edu email address. The catch is that the files are encrypted and can only be played using the ruckus player, which is a terrible program. But if you're willing to either sacrifice and put up with the player, or buy a converter that converts the files so they're not encrypted, then you have access to a library that is 2 million songs plus and growing. There's a lot of cool stuff on it all for free.

The second is a add on program for Itunes called Iconcertcal that installs a calendar in your itunes and lists any concerts in your area by artists in your Itunes library. This thing is really handy, it pretty much eliminates all the searching of websites trying to find who's playing where, and instead just places all the information right in one calendar.

These are two great tools to be able to listen to more music and see more live shows, which is pretty sweet.


So since this post is completely random, I'll just post a couple random songs that I've been really into lately.

Royksopp - Remind Me

You might recognize this song from the Geico commercial with the caveman in the airport. I love that commercial, but also the song. The song has a great synth bass line

Snoop Dogg - Think About It

This is a track of the new Snoop Dogg cd released earlier this year. It's the only song I have right now, but its a pretty damn good song. They slowed down a old Jerry Butler sample and put a nice beat behind it and just let Snoop go.


And Prince at the Super Bowl? Did not work for me. What did you think?

3 comments:

Kyle said...

By the way....thanks to Heather for finding Ruckus....I don't get the credit for that one.

-Kyle

Heather Baskind said...

Because I am currently procrastinating studying, I figured out that you can play the music you download from Ruckus on Windows Media Player (because they are wma files)- which is much better than the Ruckus player.

As for Prince and the Superbowl, he didn't seem to embody the spirit of football but the shadow and the sheet effect was quite entertaining.

Alec said...

The shadow and the sheet effect was quite entertaining for those of us watching on tv and on the right side of the stadium. But what about all those people on the other side? They just saw Prince in front of a gigantic sheet.