Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Concert Review: Rx Bandits

You might remember I wrote a concert review for Rx Bandits about a year and a half ago following a show that Kyle, Andy and myself went to in Chicago. Well 18 months later they came through Tempe and I got a chance to see them again and it was infinitely better than the last time for the following reasons:

Rx Bandits were the headliners for a rock show - How Rx Bandits got on a ticket with Gym Glass Heroes, K-OS and P.O.S. is beyond me, but were quickly learned that hip hop concert goers are much more of the arm wavers than the mosh pitters type.

Not at the House of Bricks - The venue here, The Clubhouse, holds only maybe 400 people and the intimacy was great, not to mention for once the sound guy didn't have his head up his ass.

Not sold out - Not spending 30 minutes in the freezing Chicago cold trying to buy tickets on the street was one of the best things.

So onto the show. The line up consisted of only 3 bands, the Bandits and openers Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground and Portugal. The Man. Both Kay Kay and Portugal fall into the cateogory of "bands I've heard a little bit of, but never really liked enough to get an album and really listen to it." While that didn't change too much after seeing them, I did think both put on better live shows than their recorded music sounds.

As I mentioned before Rx Bandits were the headlining act for this show, and they used that billing to put on an almost 2 hr show full of energy, creativity, and crazyness. The venue was small but the crowd energetic. They played a nice mix of songs, mostly stuff from
...And the Battle Begun and Resignation, which is more their style nowadays, but they did bust out a couple tunes from Progress much to my surprise.

Their later stuff has really grown on me lately, and I've really been drawn to the creativity in their music, especially their percussive stuff. I think I've mentioned before how Chris Tsagakis is probably my favorite drummer, and he didn't disappoint in this show. He did some drum solos and back and forths with trombonist/percussions Chris Sheets which were pretty amazing as well. And when they finished the night with my favorite song "Decrescendo", bringing out members of the other bands on to a full stage party, it was a fitting end.

I'd recommend seeing the tour but this was the last show, so be sure to check out the bands, especially Rx Bandits if you haven't before. And if you have, then really listen to the drums on every song, you'll always hear things you didn't catch before.

Rx Bandits - Decrescendo


Rx Bandits - Taking Chase As The Serpent Slithers

Rx Bandits - A Mouth Full Of Hollow Threats

Alec

No comments: