Monday, May 5, 2008

Moving with Van Morrison


Well....I just found out today that in mid-June I'll be moving to Atlanta. Pretty exciting news for me. It's kind of ironic that when I was a little kid, that was pretty much the only place in the world I wanted to move so I could watch my favorite baseball player, David Justice. Now, it's a reality.

I wanted to post on my favorite ATL artist or something like that...but we already posted on T.I., so I went a different route. This one is about Van Morrison. I never really listened to Van Morrison until the past few months after I got a copy of Moondance. This is actually thanks to my friend Meg, who in High School snuck a few Van Morrison tracks onto my computer. I would listen to them now and then, and suddenly a few months ago I was addicted so I picked up Moondance.

There is a reason that this CD is so highly rated on Amazon by so many people. If you have not listened to it...you should. It's an absolute classic. Van Morrison's unmistakeable voice is complemented so well by the guitar, piano, and horns throughout. 'And It Stoned Me' was the song that Meg stuck on my computer a long time ago, and I love it because it feels just like a breezy summer night. However, there is no better tune than 'Into the Mystic'. This is one of those tunes that if you would hear it anywhere, I think that you would immediately drop all that you are doing just to listen for three minutes. It's a great song about being together with someone you love, and singing doesn't get much more real than when Van Morrison wails 'I want to rock your gypsy soul!' for the second and third times.

So for you old Van Morrison fans, dust off this CD and pop it in one more time. Rediscover what you loved. For you new ones like me, catch up 18 years, give it a spin, and let me know what you think. I know I'll be sitting on my wraparound porch on many a summer night in Atlanta chilling to this tune.



Sorry, guys...song links had to be removed at the request of the label. Go buy the CD!

Check out his new stuff here....
http://www.losthighwayrecords.com

No comments: