Sunday, November 18, 2007

At the Foot of My Rival


I call the New Amsterdams my favorite band to anyone who asks me. Here is my reasoning. Do you know that feeling when you feel like you are sick of every cd you own and just want to hear something, anything new? Well, I get it every now and then, and when it happens I always seem to go back to a New Amsterdams CD. It doesn't matter how sick I am of my other music, I never seem to get sick of them.

A few months ago, they released their newest album At the Foot of My Rival without any fanfare behind it at all. The way in which it was released actually fits the album quite well. 'Revenge' starts the album off very subtly with a guitar line that sounds like it was recorded on a laptop computer, accompanied by a muted singing enhanced by harmonies during single words throughout. 'Wait' quickly breaks in with a full-sounding guitar and backing bass, like somebody just turned the lights on. Matt Pryor's voice is still a touch subdued, but you can really get a feel here of what they are going for throughout the album. It feels like a bunch of friends are sitting in your room and singing stories about their past experiences. It means a lot to them as evidenced by the wailed harmonies, but yet there's still a familiar and comforting vibe.

'Hughes', my favorite track off the CD has a similar feel to the album opener with the simple guitar. Here, a slide guitar sweeps over the top, and a sweet-sounding chorus brings some subtle banjo pickings in as well. My other favorite 'Fortunate Fool' rekindles the fuller sound and warmth of most of the other tracks, while keeping the mood nice and soft. When you are sick of your music, give this one a shot.

The New Amsterdams - Wait

The New Amsterdams - Hughes

The New Amsterdams - Fortunate Fool

-Kyle

No comments: