Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Are You Ready for a Soul Party?



Hey reader, I've been looking into some other file upload sites, and found one that I want to try. Supposedly it'll stream the audio on the site and allow downloads as well. We'll see.

With that, I have been listening to a lot of soul music lately. Alec and I kind of want to have a soul party sometime as well...where we just chill, be soulful, and listen to soul hits. The album that I have been obsessed with lately is James Brown's Soul On Top. James Brown has the reputation of being a godfather of soul and one of the greatest live performers ever, and it is really quite sad that he passed away so recently.

This album, Soul On Top, was a bit of a change for Brown. He was used to being a more freestyling funk singer throughout his career, but on this album he recorded with the jazzy Louie Bellson orchestra. Louie Bellson is an incredible and quite famous drummer, who actually played alongside the percussion ensemble that I played for in High School. James Brown noted that he really had to concentrate when singing for this album, and that it was a huge test for him to complement the band and it's structure so well. I really think that this album solidifes Brown as a very versatile singer, as he is really able to capture a jazzy feel which contrasts with his normal, funky style.

A couple of my favorite tracks are posted below. The first is 'Your Cheatin' Heart,' which is a Hank WIlliams original that James Brown really lights a fire to. I love the interaction between the horns and Brown's melodies, especially when he is allowed to freestyle a bit. Louie Bellson's drumming is impeccable as always, and really holds together, yet pushes the song. The other is 'Every Day I Have the Blues' which starts out with a loud, big band feel, and then swings its way through the verses and the chorus oh so smoothly. Once again, the inflections in Brown's voice really add to the quality of the tune. I hope you guys enjoy this soulful selection.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kyle, I don't know about anyone else, but the last file download site I could use my safari (I've got a mac) to download the files directly into iTunes. I couldn't ever use firefox to download it, the file would just open another webpage and play the song in a quicktime thing. Now both safari and firefox do that with the newer download site.
PS i love the artist spotlights and all the new album reviews and everything. Great stuff. Thanks

Kyle said...

hey Matt,

For both of them...that's what firefox should do when you just click on it. when you want to d/l the tune, you have to right click and choose 'save link as' or it won't work. Thanks for the feedback as well!